Misurata University continues to plan and work hard in order to build a leading university capable of competing with top universities at the local and regional level. We, therefore, have a huge responsibility at the Documentation and Information Center since the mission of the Geographic Information System Unit (GIS) is to transfer and localize knowledge and technology, which is the primary mission of today’s and tomorrow’s universities. Consequently, this promotes and reinforces the role of Misurata University in becoming a key partner in developing a geospatial database that would contribute to the development of a basic database for the city, that in turn would help in building a prosperous economy and an advanced knowledgeable society. Among its strategic objectives, Documentation and Information Center has adopted the establishment and development of specialized offices, which constitute a national resource with a global reputation in the field of knowledge and technology transfer and localization, and the provision of studies and advisory services based on understanding, managing, analyzing, and visualizing geographic phenomena spatially and temporally. The establishment of the Geographic Information System Unit is one of Misurata University’s strategic initiatives that prioritize the development of the university spatial data infrastructure and the extension of available electronic services to include other services of particular interest to Misurata Municipality, such as GIS. The importance of this unit is reflected in the training and development of qualified cadres who work in an innovative manner and can develop digital systems, build geographic databases, and improve the quality of services provided. Ultimately, our primary objective is to make optimal use of our national cadres in all fields to build our country into a great nation.
Dr. Abduladim Maitieg
Founder and Manager of Geographic Information System Unit. |
Geographic Information System (GIS) Unit seeks to play a role in strengthening the position of Misurata University through submitting proposals for operational programmes related to geospatial infrastructure, as well as finding local and international partners for the contribution to the application of the uses of GIS.
The unit also aspires to keep up with GIS and its applications, as well as linking them with related departments in the faculties of the university such as departments of Geography, Chemistry, Biology, Geology, departments of the faculty of Engineering, and other departments in the faculties of Misurata, like the department of Environment in the faculty of Medical Technology that belongs to Tripoli University, in order to contribute to improving the outputs of these faculties and enhance the capacities of students to allow them to have better job opportunities.
Introducing high-quality distinctive educational and training services between the university and State institutions in GIS in ways that enhance thought, innovation and creativity, aiming at creating national cadres who can contribute to the programs of national transformation and conducting scientific advisory studies that play a role in serving the community and solving its problems. Additionally, covering the needs of Misurata in specific and Libya in general concerning the basic data of regional planning.
The unit looks forward to keep pace with developments concerning information technologies to ensure that geographical information is available, as well as forming a core for information exchange networks. The unit also seeks to provide assistance in the preparation of scientific proposals for the establishment of a Geographic Information Database for Misurata that assists in providing advisory services for all municipal branches and administrative units in order to play a role in developing and upgrading services to provide top high-quality services.
1. Raising the level of the university's contributions to achieving development plans which are based on geographic systems.
2. Expanding partnerships, activities, research, knowledge and advisory services of the university as well as training in the field of geographic information system for local beneficiaries, in a way that achieves the vision of the unit in particular and the university in general.
3. Developing and diversifying the resources of the university regarding contractual works in the field of geographic information system in some departments of the faculties of Arts, Engineering, and science.
4. Assisting decision-makers to make wise decisions based on geospatial information.
5. Developing a database for vital areas.
6. Contributing to providing suggestions in the course of developing proposals that aim at achieving full geographic coverage for the city including topographic maps and up-to-date satellite images.
7. Providing support for studies and research in the university using geographic information system technology.
8. Attracting applied projects in the field of geographic information system and remote-sensing in order to implement them in the departments of the university within the project of providing opportunities for students to work in order to develop their full potential and prepare them for success in a world with ever-greater technical challenges.
9. Opening applied research channels with the teaching staff of the university.
Developing a framework for Geographic Information System Unit.
Collecting, preserving, compiling, and indexing geographic data on a structured basis for ease of retrieval and analysis.
Designing applications by the use of geographic information systems to support the scientific departments, the university research center, and the concerned university administrations.
Designing geographic databases for all digital and thematic basemaps and satellite imagery.
Providing geospatial information services based on GIS technology and software for beneficiaries.
Digitizing paper maps to make use of them in the various applications and studies.
Coordinating with faculties and research centers in the university to identify and meet their needs of geographic information services.
Opening applied research channels with the university teaching staff members.
Several types of reports are produced by Geographic Information System (GIS):
Descriptive spatial reports.
Maps with different scales.
Statistical reports by geographic regions.
* Theme 1 (Researches and Consultations)
Conducting studies and researches necessary for developing local community by the use of Geographic Information System, focusing on GIS and remote sensing studies.
* Theme 2 (Consultations)
The unit supervises coordination of activities and research projects related to GIS within the scope of university.
Providing technical assistance and advice for specialized government bodies and administrations relevant to the scope of the center, and cooperating with international organizations and GIS stakeholders.
* Theme 3 (Specialized Services)
Working with the university departments in making proposals that would make GIS and spatial infrastructure electronic services available for the municipality and students.
Establishing a geoinformation portal for Misurata Municipality.
Designing and building geographic databases for all digital and thematic basemaps and satellite imagery.
* Theme 4 (Training)
Supervision of training and development of human resources of the university scientific departments associated with the uses of GIS.
Organizing symposiums, training the various groups of society, and exchanging visits for the mutual benefit from experiences of others.