The beginning of the Faculty of Economics and Political Science was with the establishment of the Economics Department during the academic 1992/1993 in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities. In the following year, the Department was annexed to the Faculty of Science instead, where it continued until the graduation of the first batch in the academic year 1995/1996. In the 1996/1997 academic year it was merged with Law Department to form: the Faculty of Law and Political Science, affiliated with the Nasser University at that time (currently the Al-Mergheb University). As of the 1999/2000 academic the two departments separated to form an independent faculty each. The Faculty of Economics was annexed to the Misurata University of Departments in 2000.
The Faculty is located in a building near the city center consisting of three floors containing administrative offices and the offices of the Heads of Departments. It includes (23) classrooms, (2) computer laboratories, a well equipped conference hall and a meeting hall. This building also houses a library specialized in economic sciences and a cafeteria serving students and faculty members. The building also houses some associated utility facilities.
A subsidiary building was annexed to the main building, consisting of two floors, containing a number of classrooms and administrative offices, and a small auditorium to accommodate the annually growing numbers of students.
As of the academic year: 2013/2014 a new associated building adjacent to the Faculty of Science came to function in view of the increasing number of students each year. The building contains a set of administrative offices, (13) classrooms, (2) postgraduate studies halls as well as (2) computer labs, thus contributing to alleviate some of the congestion experienced in the Faculty’s main premises, as a consequence of students’ increasing inclination to enroll at the Faculty of especially in recent years.
- Excellence, leadership, and authority in economic, financial and political science and scientific research, under administrative and economic stability.
- Training specialized personnel who are able to compete in the labor market and contribute to community service; through maintaining a high quality academic and professional environment. The Faculty also participates in training, researching and providing consultation services in all economic and political disciplines.
- Building the student’s personality, and developing his/her of academic ,practical and researching capabilities in a scientific manner distinct in the field of economic and political science.
- Creating consistency between graduates and labor market’s needs; in terms of numbers, quality, and competence.
- Attending to quality standards, whether it was for the faculty members, the curricula, buildings and classrooms, or whatever equipment and technology required.
- Organizing scientific conferences, seminars, and panel discussions, and workshops; to exchange experiences and stand on the contemporary scientific developments.
- Strengthening scientific and cultural links and ties, and exchanging experiences and views with other faculties, within and outside the University.